Did you know that more than 3,400 Americans die each year in fires, and approximately 17,500 are injured? (source: USFA) Fire is scary. It can spread very quickly and cause horrible damage. In less than 30 seconds a small flame can get completely out of control and turn into a major fire. It only takes minutes for a house to fill with thick black smoke and become engulfed in flames. (source: USFA) But the saddest part about all this is that many of these deaths and injuries are avoidable.
In the event of a fire, remember – time is the biggest enemy and every second counts! Escape plans help you get out of your home quickly.
Do you have a fire escape plan for your family? Have you practiced it with your kids?
If not, it really is a simple, quick project!
For your plan you’ll need:
- 2 ways out of each room
- To make sure what is needed to get out (ie a ladder…this is the one we use) is located near the exits
- A meeting place outside (but near) your home
For the practice you’ll need to:
- Make sure everyone in your family can open the windows in your home
- Check doors for heat
- Crawl low to the ground if there is smoke
- Close doors as you go to keep the fire from spreading
- Stop, drop and roll if your clothes catch on fire
Please call 311 is you have any questions or concerns. To get more information, please visit: Fire Escape Plan
Nation West is here for you. In the event of a claim, please call: 877-331-7971.