Protect your home on vacation
Summer is a time for many of us to get away and travel. Whether your trip is for work or play, if you’re headed overseas or staying within the country, some simple preparation before you leave can save you significant time, money and hassle in the long run.
Your vacation checklist
Heading off on an upcoming trip? In addition to great home insurance, use this helpful checklist to ensure your house stays well protected while you’re away.
· Set some inside and outside household lights on timers so nobody knows you’re gone
· Drain pipes and turn off water mains
· Have a neighbour pick up your mail, newspapers and flyers, or suspend your mail delivery entirely
· Turn off taps on the washing machine and any appliances that could leak
· Dispose of your garbage
· Leave keys and your travel itinerary with a friend or family member
· Lock your doors and windows
· Get someone to check on your home periodically
· If away for long periods of time, arrange for someone to mow the lawn
For more great tips on how to prepare for vacation, check out Intact’s library of tips.