Unless you take certain precautions, the coziness of a warm flame can quickly turn into a house fire and result in personal injury and property damage.
CLEANING AND MAINTENANCE:
- Have your wood stove or fire place inspected annually by a certified chimney specialist.
- Have cracked or missing chimney bricks and mortar and corroded flashing repaired.
- Remove ash buildup regularly and store in a covered metal container.
- Never restrict air supply to wood stoves or fireplaces as it may cause the buildup of creosote and increase risk of a chimney fire.
- Keep the hearth free of debris and materials that may catch fire easily.
- Burn only dry, well-seasoned wood to avoid creosote buildup in stovepipes and chimneys.
- Never use flammable liquids to start a fire as it can get out of control quickly.
- Make small fires that burn completely and produce less smoke.
- Never leave a fire unattended.
- Ensure it is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house.
- Install smoke detectors on every floor of your home.
- Change and test batteries at least twice a year.
- Keep a fire extinguisher close by and make sure everyone in your household knows how to use it
in the event of fire.