Fire Escape Planning
July 6, 2015
Fire is scary. It can spread very quickly and cause horrible damage. In less than 30 seconds a small flame can get completely out of control and turn into a major fire. It only takes minutes for a house to fill with thick black smoke and become engulfed in flames. But the saddest part about all this is that many of these deaths and injuries are avoidable.
In the event of a fire, remember – time is the biggest enemy and every second counts! Escape plans help you get out of your home quickly.
Do you have a fire escape plan for your family? Have you practiced it with your kids?
If not, it really is a simple, quick project!
For your plan you’ll need:
- 2 ways out of each room
- To make sure what is needed to get out (ie a ladder…this is the one we use) is located near the exits
- A meeting place outside (but near) your home
For the practice you’ll need to:
- Make sure everyone in your family can open the windows in your home
- Check doors for heat
- Crawl low to the ground if there is smoke
- Close doors as you go to keep the fire from spreading
- Stop, drop and roll if your clothes catch on fire
You can find more info and tips by calling 311.
There you have it! Spend 10 minutes today creating a fire escape plan for your family. Then in a day or two spend another 10 minutes practicing it! Easy Peasy!
To get more information, visit: Fire Escape Plan
Nation West Insurance, is here for you. Call our 24 Hour Emergency Claims Line: 1-877-331-7971.